- This event has passed.
Charleston County Earth Day Festival
April 15, 2017 @ 11:00 am - 4:00 pmFREE
Charleston County’s Environmental Management Department invites citizens to join in celebrating Earth Day during the 2016 Earth Day Festival on Saturday, April 23. The free event will be held from 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. at Riverfront Park on the former Naval Base in North Charleston.
The 17th Annual Earth Day Festival is a celebration of Charleston County’s environmental community. The festival provides hands-on educational opportunities for all ages and highlights the County’s environmental programs.
“Charleston County’s Annual Earth Day Festival is a great opportunity to increase environmental awareness in our community,” said Charleston County’s Chairman of Environmental Management Committee and County Councilmember Colleen Condon. “We encourage residents to join us for this free, fun and family oriented event to learn how they can make a difference in our local community while at home, work and play.”
Charleston County’s Earth Day Festival attracts as many as 8,000 people each year. All participants are asked to commit to reducing waste at the event. Resource Recovery Centers will be strategically located throughout the park to collect recyclable materials and organic waste generated during the festival.
Charleston County’s Annual Earth Day Art Contest was held again this year and students in grades kindergarten through twelfth grade submitted drawings for the theme: “Be Earth Smart” The winning artwork will be featured at the event and will be printed on the back of all festival T-shirts.
April 23 Earth Day Festival Schedule of Events:
- 11:10 a.m.: Event kickoff with Leonard School of Music National Anthem performance
- 11:15 a.m.:
- Opening remarks by Charleston County’s Chairman of Environmental Management Committee and County Councilmember Colleen Condon
- Awards and recognition of the Annual Earth Day Art Contest winners
- Recognition of festival volunteers
- 11:20 a.m.: Live musical performance by Leonard School of Music
- 12:00 p.m.: Live bird demonstration by The Birds of Prey
- 12:30 p.m.: Live musical performance by South Carolina bluegrass band The Bluestone Ramblers
- 1:30 p.m.: Live musical performance by Wildflower Station
- 2:00 p.m.: Live musical performance by Katie Rose, local singer/songwriter
- 2:45 p.m.: Live Zumba demonstration
- 3:00 p.m.: Live musical performance by Chaquis Maliq, guitarist, singer, and one-woman band
Other Highlights of the 2016 Earth Day Festival:
- Over 80 environmental activities and educational displays on alternative energy, conservation, local and organic agriculture, animals and habitat preservation, litter, water and air quality, seedlings, recycling and composting
- Compost Awareness Center, a focal point tent emphasizing the popular “Are You In the Loop?” game where attendees can learn about the composting cycle. Guests will receive home composting information, commercial food waste information and free compost samples.
- Hands-on fun with specials guests The Little Gym of West Ashley and Bricks 4 Kidz.
- Water buffalo by Charleston Water Systems
- Local food vendors and food trucks offering classic festival fare plus some vegetarian options
- Returning Trash-to-Treasure guest, The Yo Art Project, to assist with craft-making using recycled materials
- Provide reusable bag giveaways for the first 1,000 attendees
- Showcase the Department’s hydraulic hybrid recycling truck
- Host a recycling tent with information, giveaways and prizes
- Kids Zone with fun activities, interactive games, face painters, and much more.
- Plus a whole day of fun activities, prize drawings, contests and interactive live performances
Charleston County’s Environmental Management Department thanks their partners:
- City of North Charleston
- S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control
- Food Waste Disposal